Friday, June 11, 2010

why is vacation so exhausting??? (part 3)

B was organizing Monday's outing. It was predicted to be rather rainy, so many people opted to hang out in Seattle rather than go on the bike ride. BT & I decided that since I was going to have so little time in Seattle, we would go in early. Turns out that was a good decision.

We drove in & found parking on 6th, directly behind Top Pot Donuts. Didn't even go around & go in. :( We went straight to Pike Place Market. Had a nice walk thru. I got Gala Apples from Simply the Best and a ring from the same place as I had my green one made. We were walking back towards downtown when the word came thru that the kids weren't making it downtown before I left. I left BT on the corner of 4th & Pine and made my way to the Transit Tunnel. It was practically perfect - I had time to buy my ticket and get to the platform.

The Metro Transit Light Rail is very clean, very smooth & gives great views of areas I was un-accustomed to seeing while I lived out there. (Maybe I should have taken that apartment down off MLK Way? Rent probably went up since the light rail is up and running!) I need to make you aware of something about the Light Rail tho. And that is this: the Airport Station is a L..O..N..G ways from the "S" Terminal! I walked (& walked & walked), finally got to S, went to the bathroom, bought a bottle of water & they were already boarding my flight. Yikes!

I had a middle seat between 2 guys. The guy on the window was pretty laid back. The guy on the aisle, however, was a different story. I sat down & Larry (the guy on the aisle) says, "I hate to fly." He was very chatty & totally freaked out. He's a bass player in a band who's name I can't remember right now, but they are legit, I checked. He's written some stuff for Anita Baker. And he hates to fly. Hates having gigs on the other side of the country. At one point, I did put my iPod in and took a little nap. There was really bad turbulance landing in Detroit. It was scary and I felt really bad for the guy. He held onto my arm & I just let him. Seemed easier that way.

In DTW, I requested a flight change. I was scheduled to fly into ELM, which is about an hour's drive from home. I asked if there was any way I could get on the flight to BGM. They originally said "No, the flight is already overbooked." About 20 minutes later, they found me and said "A bunch of flights in were cancelled and there's space on the flight. Do you want to go?" Of course I said yes! So I was home by 11:30. Nice! :)

And it was back to work at 8 on Tuesday morning. The weekend happened so quickly that it almost feels like I wasn't there. It's a weird feeling...

Love you girls!



xo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh you were here :D lol he held onto your arm?! oh my dear...how old was he?? ~Cath

rachel said...

oh my! he's old enuf to be my father. it was NOT a boring flight, that is for sure :)