Thursday, August 13, 2009

this, that & a few other things

I washed my dishes before I started blogging. Be proud of me. Julie Powell would be. I hope.

I just finished reading Julie & Julia. I read it in 2 days at work. Hmmm... who has nothing to do at work?! Getting paid to read at work... Perhaps I should just go be an editor?! :)

Anyway...

I really like the book and am looking forward to seeing the movie. I was hoping to see it with S & B, but it doesn't seem to be working out. We are all too busy on the weekends. Or something. :) One of these days I will get there.

I enjoy cooking & spending time in the kitchen (unless it involves washing dishes...), but I have no desire to do a Julie/Julia Project. I am just not that ambitious. (And besides, I live in upstate NY & am poor. Such an undertaking does not suit my current situation!) But still. I want to get WHAT she got out of her project, and that is this:

"Julia taught me what it takes to find your way in the world. It's not what I thought it was. I thought it was all about - I don't know, confidence, or will or luck. Those are all some good things to have, no question. But there's something else, something that these things grow out of.

"It's joy.

...

"I read her instructions for making bechamel sauce, and what comes throbbing through is that here is a woman who has found her way."

I still haven't found what I'm looking for, oh wait, that's U2. I still don't have anything that I get so excited to do. I guess I need a project. In fact, there's lot of them floating around in my head, but I never start anything. And if I do start a project, it never gets finished. I have lots of started projects. I guess that's why I like school so much. There are deadlines for projects. They usually come around much to quickly. Especially in Art School. My writing also is the same way. I get through a conversation in a character sketch and then I'm stuck. Argh.

And while we're on the topic of food, I was very excited to get home from work today and find the latest copy of Everyday Food in my mailbox. I like the things I make from there. I have too many recipes!

But as far as the reading goes... Since I finished Julie & Julia in a couple of days, I should be able to whip through Special Topics in Calamity Physics in about 3. I'll try it next week. Too much work for a Friday.

I came Back East with a copy of said book. Can't remember who's outgoing book pile it came off. I miss those piles. I miss having friends whose houses I spent quality time in. I digress. I went to a book sale at The Art Mission and found this!



It was pretty and it cost me all of 50 cents. The people who were taking the money just did not understand why I was so excited about a book with a weird title. I told them they should read it because it was really good. They looked at me like I was losing it. And this was at an art gallery! Ah well...


On a completely different topic, I forgot to tell you about the exercise part of my new "lifestyle". It's simple really. I invested in a pedometer, ankle weights, and hand weights. I try to get in 10,000 steps each day (though some days I don't try very hard!) And I carry the weights with me on my 40 minute walk. Nothing strenuous. If I want to take a stroll around the block with my nieces and it takes 40 minutes, that totally counts. See, you just have to be up moving around. This is a point I keep trying to make with my Dad and I don't seem to be getting anywhere. grrr!

Food confession... I had ice cream last night. And I enjoyed it! :)

I must go for now. I'm running out of time to make it to the grocery store before Bible study. Love you!


xo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

we are goin to see that movie too, wish you were here!! guess what!! I had ice cream last night too after meeting haha!!!! ~Cath

Stacey said...

Two things. S wants to see it with you too. (Insert Lamentation on The Lameness Of Long Distances and Over Busy Lives.)

AND I LOVED LOVED LOVED SPECIAL TOPICS IN CALAMITY PHYSICS. SERIOUSLY. L-O-V-E-D IT. It kept me up reading at night, and I cried at the end. The speech about goldfish!! Anyway.

XO

gourmetgirl said...

B wishes to see the movie with you as well...sigh...

I haven't read that book yet, it's on my list...

And thanks for the moment of fame in your later post ;)