Saturday, August 15, 2009

of farmers' markets and such

GourmetGirl often writes about her food findings at various markets & what amazing things she does with her produce. I attempt to follow, but she's a gourmet cook. Me? I just muddle around in the kitchen.

Today. I am finally home on a Saturday with nothing going on. I debated going to the Ithaca Farmers' Market, but didn't want the bother of finding a place to park, nor the bother of keeping my produce fresh whilst wondering around Ithaca and on the drive home. Also, I didn't want to get out of bed! :) So I opted to go to the Vestal Farmers' Market instead. (They don't have a website, but their information is here.) I wanted to get there earlier, but didn't make it 'til 9. As I sat on the Vestal Parkway waiting to turn into the Library parking lot, I realized that there was about as much traffic here as there would be in Ithaca, but the entrance way is bigger! (And I can walk if I feel so inclined!) :)

First stop, The Lettuce Lady. She's easy to find - always has the biggest crowd around her tent. I'm sure she has some name like "So-and-so's Farm", but here in Vestal, we all just know her as the Lettuce Lady. I got a small bag of mixed lettuces, a bunch of carrots, and a green pepper. I elbowed my way back out of the crowd & proceeded to peruse the rest of the market. I bought tomatoes, plums, dried apricots, sesame seeds, and dried thyme. (It's my new spice since I've been doing FLT.) All the vendors were there today. All sorts of produce, local honey, baked goods, flowers, etc. It was a gorgeous day - a few clouds floating in a clear blue sky, with temperatures pushing 80. I love the Vestal Farmers' Market. It's local & I always see someone I know. Not only that, but everyone is friendly at the Farmers' Market. I love that sense of community!

(Must resist urge to blog about sense of community.....!)

I stopped at Starbucks for a tall decaf drip, went to the post office, and went to the grocery store for non-produce items (milk, eggs, yogurt, chick peas, bread). Then I made a clothing return, and bought t.p., shampoo & hand soap at Target. I made a few other stops before returning home. Yes, everything was in a cooler, so it didn't spoil before I got it home. Once I got home, I realized I should probably use my veggies to make lunch, and blog about it. Because sometimes, that's what I do!

I looked at recipes for a bit, then decided to just wing it. Which is generally what I do all the time when I cook. (I DO follow recipes when I bake.)

I started out sauteing onion & garlic in canola oil. To that, I added chopped yellow squash (thanks, Mrs. S!), green pepper & cucumber. I let that cook for a while, then added chopped tomato. I seasoned the dish with salt & pepper, thyme, sesame seeds & soy sauce. While it was cooking, I didn't like the smell, but there was nothing I could do at that point. Well, as far as taking anything out! So I threw on some cubed mozzarella at the end & let it melt. Then I scooped everything into a bowl and ate it. It was YUMMY! And, no, I didn't take a picture because it just looked messy. All the veggies kept their texture, so that was nice. I don't like mushy vegetables!

Then I ate some dried apricots for dessert and now I am going to do something else.



xo

No comments: