Tuesday, July 14, 2009

customer service

"Don't know what you want, but I can't give it anymore." - Pet Shop Boys

"If she knew what she wants - he'd be giving it to her" - The Bangles


I work in Customer Service. Yes, my official title is "Office Girl" but in all reality, I am there for Customer Service.

Some days, the customers are lovely. Other days, they just aren't.

Example of a good customer: Older gentleman walks in, asks to see samples of stair treads. I pull out what we have & go for the catalog. He says, "I think this is what we are looking for, but do you know if...?" I didn't know, so I got help. (Ask for Help. This is the one useful thing from my last career that I use constantly in this job!) The owner talks to the guy and ends up by saying, "Ok. I'll work out the price and give you a call." The customer leaves happy. We are happy because we could help him. :)

On the opposite end of the spectrum... Older couple, in their 80s, turns out they are brother & sister. Brother is WAY too friendly, stands WAY too close. Sister says, "I need new rugs."
I ask where she wants to put them.
"In the hall and bedrooms."
"Do you have anything in mind as to what you want?"
"No."
"Do you have a color you would like to see in your house?"
"No."
"Um... what sort of traffic do these areas have? Are there a lot of people? Any pets?" (These are the basic questions that we ask anyone who is looking for carpet.)
Brother speaks up. "If she'd kick that no-good son of hers out she wouldn't have so many problems."
Sister "Well, there's about 6 people living in the house."
"Ok. So you want something that's going to stand up to a lot of foot traffic and doesn't show the dirt?" I show her a mini-shag.
"Ugh. I hate that shag stuff."
I show here a textured, tightly drawn-down plush.
"I don't like that!"
"Well, have you looked around? Is anything catching your eye?"
She remains standing in the middle of the showroom, not looking at anything. "I don't see anything I like."
I go to a rack and start flipping through. She comes and stands next to me. Doesn't say a word as we are flipping through. "See anything?"
"No. What do you think I should put in my house?"
"Well, the mini-shag would hide the dirt and stand up well to all the foot traffic."
"I don't like the shag!"
"Well, it's going to have to be your decision about what you put in your house because you have to live with it."
She looks at her brother. "She can't help me."
Brother: "She told you that you have to pick something you like. She can't help you if you won't pick anything."
(I'm like, THANK YOU!)
Sister: "She can't help me. Can someone come out and measure?" And she walks away.

I did manage to get her name & phone number, although she gave out the information grudgingly. Meanwhile, brother is standing thisclose and asking if I was married. Finally, they leave. She's still muttering something about my not being able to help her.

Honestly? I can only do so much! That was a very trying afternoon...


xo

1 comment:

The Chatty Housewife said...

Oh my goodness, that sister must be a lovely person to live with.