Saturday, October 31, 2009

on cooking

...in which no cooking is actually done...

Tomorrow is fellowship day. I am scheduled for 2 lunch desserts and a supper main dish. Mom is also on a supper main dish, so she's doing a double batch of chicken. I have to work tomorrow afternoon. She is rather good to me! :)

I like to do something seasonal for my desserts. So I picked Caramel Apple Cupcakes. They were easy enough - cake mix, butter, eggs, applesauce, cinnamon. Fill liners with batter, press an unwrapped Kraft caramel into top. Bake. It was really easy. Except... I didn't have enough liners for 24 cupcakes. Solution? Use cooking spray on the non-stick pan and hope for the best. The cupcakes themselves were no problem to come out. The caramels, on the other hand, had sunk to the bottom and stuck themselves on. Grrr... So those ones are now upside-down cupcakes. The other pan with the liners, I was afraid I hadn't used enough batter, but they overflowed and baked on a little bit. I will whip up cream cheese frosting in the morning. Also in the morning, I will pull together a tiramisu trifle. (If you read any sort of women's magazine, I'm sure you've seen this recipe? It calls for Philadelphia Cream Cheese, Jello pudding, and Nilla Wafers. It reads like it will go together quickly, which is good, because I'm always trying to do too much Sunday mornings. (As B & C can attest to!) Oh, and the coffee I was running out for? For the tiramisu. :)

Other than that, I don't do a lot of cooking these days. I make a salad every day for lunch and pull together any assortment of "snacks" for my day at work. I cook a chicken breast every other day for two days worth of protein at lunch. I do change up the flavor of my chicken regularly, but it's not really cooking. I just use some oil and whatever spices I pull out of the cupboard first and pop the dish in the oven while I'm making lunch and/or breakfast.

When B & C were here, I made "Iced Cinnamon Bun Scones." They were a bit complicated, but I thought they turned out nice. Of course, we at them warm. Mom said they weren't anything special the next day at room-temperature. Ah well...

I do make eggs every morning for breakfast: scrambled, fried, poached, omelet-ed (is that a word?!) ... is there any other ways of cooking eggs? I haven't been able to come up with much. Please comment if you know of some other way.

Well, I think that's all for now. Good night!


xo

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh myyyy...no those scones would be exceptional even not warm, thanks again for makin them, they were incredible!!!!!!!!!! xoxo Cath

Brooke said...

egg salad, eggs benedict, breakfast burrito, puff pancake (5 eggs, 1 c flour, 1 C milk--whip on high in blender for a loooooong time) pour into a 9x13 with 1/3 cup melted butter and bake for 20 min. at 425. You can half or quarter the recipe and bake in a smaller pan. It's my kids favorite way to eat eggs : ) That's all I got. I run out of ways to do eggs too. Although lately, we've been going through a LOT of them. BTW--great to see you back!!! And what's this about Target?

gourmetgirl said...

baked eggs: grease a ramekin, through a couple in, sprinkle with salt or pepper or bits of bacon or cheese or whatever you feel like, bake for lengthy amount of time like 45 minutes, voila! breakfast!

The scones? They were great!
B.

Anonymous said...

http://www.kitchenist.com/cooking/sweet/grown-up-sweet-salted-caramel-brownie-cookies/816 Try these, easiest martha stewart recipe i ever found! YUM!! I was just sooo excited to use my Grey salt I got at Salmon Days ;) ~Cath, again ;) and btw my sister must be tired.. i think it's THROW...haha and I've never heard of her doing eggs that way, that sounds sooo long ugh! 45 mins?!!!

rachel said...

Thanks, all, for your suggestions. It's now a month later, and I am just checking back in. argh!